The following are instructions for home care after you've had a tooth removed
1. Bite down with firm pressure on the gauze that has been placed over the extraction site for 30 minutes. If the bleeding continues, new gauze should be placed in the same area, and bite down for another 30 minutes. For more bleeding control, bite down a teabag over the wound for 30 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
2. Do not rinse your mouth today. Tomorrow, rinse gently every 4 hours, especially after meals with warm salt water. Continue for several days. You can resume gentle brushing and flossing the day after.
3. Do not spit. If you need to get rid of anything out of the mouth, let it fall out without pressure.
4. DO NOT SMOKE for at least the next 3-5 days. Smoking will increase your chances for a painful dry socket and will impair the healing process.
5. Some swelling is normal. To minimize swelling, an ice bag should be applied on the face over area involved. 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off for the first day. Ice bag application will help with any pain or discomfort.
6. Do not consume alcohol, nor rinse with any products containing alcohol (Scope/Listerine) or hydrogen peroxide.
7. Do not drink anything with carbonation.
8. Do not drink through a straw for at least the next 3 days. Avoid eating or drinking anything hot or spicy during this time.
9. Food – Soft diet is advisable. During the first 2-3 days after the surgery a diet of soft food and liquids is recommended (soup,mashed potatoes yogurt, milk shake, juice to name a few examples)
10. Bone fragments – Small fragments may work up through the gum during healing. These are not roots. If bothersome, return to our office for simple removal.
11. Pain – If a prescription(s) was given to you, follow the instructions and take as directed. You may experience pain, bruising around your lips and/or swelling, especially after extraction of impacted wisdom teeth. If antibiotics were given, please take as directed for the entire course.
12. If you are supervising children who have had extraction done, make sure they don t bite on their numb lips or tongue (it can cause serious injury to their soft tissue).
13. Normal healing process will take approximately 6-8 weeks.
14. If any unusual symptoms occur, excessive bleeding, severe pain or continued swelling, please give us a call. In case of serious emergencies call 911.
Please refer to the paper copy we have given you also. Let us know if you have any questions!